This recipe is SO easy. I came up with it with ingredients I always have on hand. It’s simple and sweet with great texture, and I just know you’re going to love it!!
This Valentines Day, I got up early to surprise my boyfriend with a special breakfast. He has been loving this gluten-free bread from Canyon Bakehouse that we find at Whole Foods and I have been thinking I could use it to make french toast for quite some time! I love this brand because the ingredients are pretty clean unlike most gluten-free breads that use canola or soybean oils (which are inflammatory in the body), or a bunch of other ingredients I'm not a fan of. It also has the same consistency as real bread- which is quite rare! Overall it tastes really great, but please feel free to use any gluten-free bread of your choice as it won’t affect this recipe or the deliciousness at all!
But guess what happened? My boyfriend was so touched that I went to the trouble of making this for him that he didn't want to tell me he didn’t feel well and had no appetite!! I plated it for him, with his coffee and was so excited and everything and he couldn't eat it. Whoops.... But we kept it for leftovers, and heated it back up in the toaster oven the next day and it turned out great. So it’s great to know you can make this recipe ahead of time and have it on the mornings you’re on the go. I made it for him a few more time this past week and continued to get the thumbs up! So I am super excited for you all to try it. And yep we're still laughing about the Valentine's Day flop :)
- 4-6 pieces of gluten-free bread (pictured is Cinnamon Raison from Canyon Bakehouse- found at Whole Foods)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or dairy-free milk of your choice)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, ghee, or grass-fed butter (for pan, amount depending on size of your pan)
- Maple syrup for topping (optional)
My tip*- first toast the bread. This will prevent your french toast from turning out soggy! Don’t have a toaster? No problem, skip this step and it will still turn out excellent (I’ve made it both ways).
- Toast your bread (optional)
- Add your egg, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice) to a shallow tray/container/wide plate
- Whisk all the ingredients together
- Take your bread and submerge each piece into the batter, making sure every nook and cranny is covered on both sides. Really drench the bread.
- Heat your pan to medium heat and add your coconut oil, butter or ghee till melted
- Add your bread to the pan
- Continue to cook on this side for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown
- Flip to cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown
- Plate your french toast and top with maple syrup, more ghee or butter, nut butter, coconut flakes, berries, or nothing!
I'd love to hear your thoughts, leave a comment below! XO!