If you’re anything like me, you have a favorite restaurant that you visit over and over and just can’t get enough of. For me it’s a spot called Hugos, and if you live in Southern California I cannot recommend it enough- they have three locations! I took my love for this place to a whole new extreme and chose the apartment I live in now based on the proximity it is to my favorite restaurant. In fact, it’s so close it’s next door! I also live across the street from Whole Foods, so basically, yeah, I’m never moving. Can you blame me?
Hugos’s is my fav because it focuses on healthy, sustainable, simple food and offers everything from vegan to paleo dishes and all in between- so no matter the eating style of your dining partners you’re all going to be happy. That's uncommon wouldn't you say!? They also take generous consideration to food allergies, and go above and beyond to accommodate you. On a personal level, this is such a relief since I have a lot of food sensitives. It's one of those places where you won't be looked at like you're crazy when you say, "I'm gluten-free." Everything is delicious, they have fantastic breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, and fresh light dishes to totally indulgent and satisfying entrees.
So where does this awesome recipe I’m about to share with you come into play? Well lately I’ve been getting Hugo's orange mustard chicken with a side of sautéed leafy greens and roasted yams and sweet potatoes. It is fantastic! So here’s what happened- this meal made me fall back in love with chicken. The sauce is so delectable that it made chicken fun again! That’s kind of a weird statement to make…But I had been eating a lot more beef, lamb, salmon, and tuna this past year and sort of getting bored with chicken. Especially when it’s not a fattier cut like thighs or legs- you can only eat so many plain chicken breasts right?? This dish at my fav spot really inspired me to spice up my chicken at home, both figuratively and literally!
I wanted to put my own spin on this dish I love and that’s how I came up with my honey-orange-ginger chicken! This chicken is sticky, sweet, with some special spice from the ginger and garlic, and absolutely delectable. It’s been a winner in our house as of late, and I hope you love it as much as I do!!
Orange-Honey-Ginger Glazed Chicken
- 1- 1 1/2 pounds Chicken Tenders or Chicken Breast Sliced into strips
- 1 small blood orange *
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp. Ground Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. (+ more to taste ) Sea Salt
*if in season, if not use whatever orange you can find
- Turn your pan to Medium Heat
- Add EVOO and then your Chicken
- Slice the orange in half, remove any seeds, and squeeze the juice from each half over the chicken
- Add the ginger, garlic, and sea salt
- Cook the Chicken on the first side for roughly 6-7 minutes or until there is a nice char on the other side
- Flip the chicken and turn the heat down to medium low (cook on this side for roughly 5 minutes or until both sides are golden brown)
- Add the honey to the bottom of the pan, so that it melts and you cover the entire bottom of the pan with a nice honey glaze
- Using a basting brush take the juice from the bottom of the pan and brush atop each piece of chicken (if you do not have a brush just use a spoon or knife and cover the chicken the best you can)
Serve with veggies, rice, cauliflower rice, or atop a salad. Enjoy!!