If you follow me over on Instagram you know how much I love making crispy kale. If you aren't a huge fan of dark leafy greens, or a die hard kale lover- I seriously encourage you to give this approach a go because it's a game-changer for sure.
I often eat crispy kale for breakfast and I find myself waking up most mornings completely craving it!! I'm hopeful you'll start feeling the same. I love pairing it with a protein source like soft-boiled eggs, an Applegate turkey burger or leftover wild salmon. And don't get me wrong- crispy kale is great anytime of the day so incorporate it into lunches or dinners too if that works best!
I'm very into textures, and especially love when roasted veggies get crispy and crunchy. In fact, that's kind of the best part am I right!? So when I created this recipe, that's what I was going for with the kale! Somewhere in between lightly sautéed and kale chips, essentially.
This recipe is incredibly simple! And feel free to jazz it up with different cooking oils (avocado, butter, ghee) and spices (garlic, onion, cumin, paprika)- all of my recipes are super basic so that you can learn the foundation of healthy cooking and a maintainable way of eating- the rest is yours to play around with so you find what you LOVE.
makes 1-2 servings
- 2 cups kale (I like using curly kale, and red kale is my favorite) de-stemmed and leaves broken by hand into smaller pieces
- 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil (+ more if needed)
- sea salt to taste (+ any additional spices you'd like)
- Heat a large pan to medium/high heat
- Add the coconut oil so it melts & covers the entire pan
- Add the kale & move it around in the pan with tongs till cooked down and well incorporated in the oil (takes a few minutes)
- Sprinkle with sea salt
- Let the kale sit for a few more minutes (time will vary based on pan size) till bits become crispy and then move it around in the pan a bit more adding extra coconut oil if needed