I felt compelled to whip up this recipe while shopping at Whole Foods on Monday and I saw all the fresh herbs. As you guys may or may not know, I've been working on balancing my hormones. I'm estrogen dominant and my body is having some trouble moving excess estrogen hormone out of my body. Fresh herbs like parsley and cilantro are super detoxing and I decided to give a homemade pesto a try to get a lot of fresh herbs in at once.
It turned out sooo delicious and I can't stop eating it! I had it on top of a salmon salad and it was to-die-for.
I've found I have a hard time digesting fresh garlic, but feel free to throw a few cloves in here if you're feeling spicy! You can also interchange the oils, and use olive oil instead if you don't have walnut on hand- although I urge you to try it because it's delicious! I'm always using it as a salad dressing.
Top everything from salads, eggs, chicken, or dip veggies or GF crackers in there and enjoy this super flavorful superfood pesto!
- 1 bunch cilantro (washed & stems chopped)
- 1 bunch parsley (washed & stems chopped)
- 1 bunch basil (washed & stems chopped)
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (+ more to taste)
- 3/4- 1 1/4 cup walnut oil (start at 3/4 cup and add more depending on desired consistency) *OR olive oil
- The juice of 1/2 a lemon (squeeze atop completed recipe, to prevent herbs from turning brown and maintaining freshness!)
** I've made this recipe without basil and it turns out great.
** I've also made it with other combinations of nuts and seeds (just hemp seeds, hemp seeds and walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.) and it turns out great.
** I've also, also made it with olive oil instead of walnut oil and it's also great! OPTIONS! :)
- add all the ingredients to a powerful blender (you'll need one with a tamper) or a food processor & blend till smooth (intermittently stopping and scraping down sides with a spatula) and adding more oil if necessary.