Let’s face it, we’re creatures of habit. Especially when it comes to our diets.
I’m a huge proponent of listening to you body and it’s my belief that our bodies often crave what it needs.
This brings me to my latest obsession…and if you’ve been following me over on Instagram I’m sure you’re used to seeing this dish pop up almost every single day.
I’ve been waking up craving this for breakfast. Tuna and kale for breakfast!? YES!
You guys, if you would have told me a few years ago that my body would be wanting this in the morning I would have said you’re nuts. After all these were the days I was eating Special K cereal, chewy granola bars, a banana or nothing at all. *SIGH*
WHAT a shift! And a great shift.
Instead of a refined carbohydrate-filled breakfast packed with sugar and no nutrition (like what I used to have)- I’m eating something full of nutrients that will not only keep me full but give me brain power and tons of energy.
I can feel such a difference in my body, mind (and emotions!) when I start my day this way. Cereal, toast and fruit will not only NOT keep you full, but will send your blood sugar on an all-day rollercoaster complete with cravings and brain fog…who wants that!?
This dish is the perfect trifecta of protein, fibrous carbs and healthy fats. A combination I recommend for everyone each meal of the day because it will keep you happy, full and reaching your health goals!
Why is this combination so power-packed!? Tuna (especially wild tuna) is full of anti-inflammatory omega 3's, kale is rich in vitamin C, magnesium and folate and coconut oil contains MCT's (medium chain triglycerides) that boost fat loss and metabolism!
So ditch the idea that breakfast has to look “breakfasty.” There are NO RULES. You’ll be amazed at how much different you feel when you start your day with nutrition over empty calories.
That all being said, this meal is great for anytime of the day. I’ll have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This nourishing, sweet and savory combination really pleases my tastebuds- and I just can’t get enough of it!
Hope you try it, and if you do you must let me know!! Comment below!!
- 1 can wild tuna (I recommend the brand, Wild Planet)
- 2 1/2 cups kale, stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces (I prefer curly kale, but Dino/Tuscan works too)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. organic ketchup (I love the brand, Sir Kensington’s)
- Sea salt to taste (a few shakes)
- Heat a medium to large size pan to medium heat
- Add 1 tbsp. coconut oil so it melts and covers the bottom of the pan
- Add the kale and cook down for 2-3 minutes or until leaves are softened and touched with oil
- Drain the liquid from the tuna, and empty into the pan with kale by using a fork and scraping into small/bite-size pieces
- Add your sea salt
- Mix the kale and tuna together so everything is warm and incorporated
- Turn the heat off and transfer to a plate or bowl
- Add remaining tbsp. of coconut oil and ketchup and mix together once more