It's a new week and I don't know about you but I'm all for switching things up lately! For the majority of 2015 I was grain-free. I was experiencing some health issues and I removed grains to see if things improved. But it's a new year- and I'm all about doing what works for you and experimenting with your diet - if you can. I say this because there are many individuals who deal with a certain health condition that requires a very specific way of eating, and that's much different. But lately I've been having some cravings for gluten-free grains like oats and rice, and I've decided to honor my body and listen to what it's asking. I'm keeping close eye on how I'm feeling and if any new symptoms arise but so far, so good. I'm soaking my grains, to lessen the anti-nutrients they contain- and not overdoing it. I'm also treating myself with compassion for not following the way of eating I've been used to, chewing well, eating slowly, and choosing to really enjoying this new addition.
So as you may be able to tell from the pics- well, lately I've been real into oatmeal. It was a favorite of mine years ago and I can't deny that it feels really comforting and soothing to introduce it back into my diet. But this time I am re-vamping my old method from 2010 of water and 2 packets of splenda (ahh, what was I thinking!?) to a nutrient packed hearty one- pot serving of pure deliciousness. Yes!
So let's talk breakfast- it’s not an old wives tale that it's the most important meal of the day…it actually is. You’ll balance your blood sugar, boost concentration and focus, make better choices throughout the day, and have more energy. Basically breakfast is crucial! But sometimes we can get stuck in a rut, or just don't make time for a healthy breakfast. Well, I've got you covered on both accounts!
So in my oatmeal I’ve included a very special ingredient- zucchini! It may sound strange but just I know you’re going to LOVE it! It makes the oatmeal so creamy, much more filling, and jam packed with fiber and nutrition. My oatmeal also includes both protein and healthy fat so you’re covering all your macronutrient bases and avoiding the spike and dip that comes from a carb-only breakfast. Feel free to use my recipe as a baseline and get creative with add-ons and toppings, as the possibilities are really endless! Hope you enjoy!! Please share with me if you try it, and have a great week!!
Cinnamon Zucchini Oats (Zoats!)
Gluten, dairy, and sugar-free
- 1/2 cup organic gluten-free old fashioned oats *
- 1/2 cup blended zucchini (about 1 small zucchini blended in a blender or food processor with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup water - add water gradually to see what you need, you want the zucchini to be almost soup-like. This step can be made-ahead to save you time in the morning :)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (or any favorite protein powder)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- a dash of sea salt
- Stevia, coconut sugar, or maple syrup can be used for sweetness (optional)
* (soaked in water overnight- do this to make the oats more digestible by removing the anti-nutrients grain contain.)
- Drain any remaining liquid from your soaked oats
- Heat a saucepan to medium heat
- Add your oats, zucchini, and almond milk to the saucepan
- Using a spatula, stir the mixture many times - it may begin to bubble a bit, so just keep stirring and keep an eye on it
- Allow to cook, while stirring quite frequently, for about 5 minutes
- Turn the heat off and cover the saucepan for 2 minutes
- Remove the lid and stir in your cinnamon, sea salt, and collagen or protein powder
- Top with your coconut oil
- Other options? Top with nut butter, fresh fruit, or add cacao powder -have fun!!