I don't know about you but the second fall hits I'm all about squash and root veggies - pumpkin, butternut squash, acorn squash, carrots, sweet potatoes...any and all of it. Roasted, steamed, savory, sweet I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH.
If you've been following me for a while, you probably know by now that I love carrots especially from my obsession with my cinnamon carrot fries recipe. SO GOOD. Well when perusing the grocery store this weekend, I spotted some parsnips (closely related to the carrot ;)) and felt inspired to make butternut squash and parsnip soup!
What I love about parsnips and butternut squash is that they're both good sources of soluble fiber. Soluble fibers feeds the beneficial bacteria in our gut (the good guys) which keeps our immune system strong, adds bulk to our stool and even helps with constipation and irregularity.
I was excited to get to recipe tasting! And there went my Sunday afternoon, haha.
Well what I came up with blew my socks off (literally it got really hot in my kitchen and full disclosure I was not wearing socks). It is soooo creamy without using any cream...this recipe is dairy-free of course, woo hoo! It's so hearty and comforting I just fell right in love, quick.
This recipe is perfect for a cozy night in cuddled up with Netflix (OMG have you seen the new Tony Robbins documentary!?) prepped ahead so you can have it for breakfast (yay breakfast soup!) or lunch any day of the week, or for the upcoming Holidays! (I promise you'll impress even your not-so-easily impressed family members) with this one.
So enjoy!! I'm really excited about this recipe (as you can tell...) I'm having it for dinner tonight actually! Please share with me if you make it and what you think!
Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup
dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo
serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a side
- 2 cups butternut squash, skin and seeds removed and chopped into 1-2 inch pieces (easiest if bought pre-chopped which you’ll find at Trader Joe’s and most other grocery stores as well)
- 2 cups parsnips, skin removed and chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth (no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk (can be subbed for almond milk)
- 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil (or ghee)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (+ more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. collagen protein (optional, for added protein & gut healing)
- Steam the butternut squash and parsnips for 15-20 mins or until tender when pierced with a fork
- Using a blender, blend the steamed squash, parsnips, broth and coconut milk till combined
- Add the coconut oil, spices and salt (and collagen protein if using) and blend again
- Taste and add more salt if needed